Mail Order Bride Scam And How To Avoid It
The problem of mail order bride scams becomes more evident with the rise of internet dating sites offering mail order brides. Western men seeking ideal wives online get scammed quite often but is it possible to avoid such deceits or fraudulent activities? If you know some mail order bride scam warning signs, you might be lucky to avoid being scammed, but you need to know more about these clues!
Signs of mail order bride scams
Romance scammers can be disturbing, but if you know how to spot them, you don’t have to worry about anything. Please note that you can face 2 types of online dating scams, while one is a profile of a woman interested in taking your money, the other will be a dating site that’s a scam itself.
Red flags of scam dating sites
You might come across a dating site with appealing profiles online, and you start to believe that you have a chance to find someone here. Don’t rush, as you need to know whether you can trust this platform. Here are some common signs that might indicate that you’re on the scam mail order bride site:
- Impostor platforms: once you register on one site, you can be redirected to another one.
- Non-functioning features: inconsistency in what’s promised and what works, in reality, is another sign that you’re dealing with an unreliable platform.
- Spam letters: once you register, you start being disturbed by constant mails from that site, which can be a sign of the scam platform.
- Easiness of ladies: you’ll spot model-like girls become interested in you confessing love without even seeing your profile.
Indication of profile scammers
Online romance scammers aren’t so hard to detect, but your discretion is a must when dating online. The truth about mail order brides who are frauds is that these people are interested in emptying your pocket. Here are some common signs of such scammers:
- They tend to be too far from you, but they want to see you and desire to be yours.
- You’ll get lots of love confessions with intimate details that can make you believe that you’re wanted.
- They don’t tend to keep their promise, and they’ll do everything to avoid video calls so that you won’t see them in reality.
- You’ll spot that there can be inconsistency in what they say, giving you the impression that there are several people using the same profile.
- They might ask you for money only after several dating sessions saying that they have some emergency.
- You can be told that they have a birthday out of a sudden and expect you to buy them a gift from the online shop or transfer the money.
- Your relationship might proceed faster than you can imagine giving you a false impression that you’re doing great.
- You’ll be spoiled with too much attention from romance scammers making you believe that you’re the only person they want to love.
- They might give different answers to the same questions, and when you ask whether they have children, you can be told that they don’t have one day, but on the other day, they might have kids.
- They might speak in perfect English one day, but the next day, the level of English substantially drops down, giving a signal of scammers.
Outsmarting mail order bride scams
How to avoid scams online? Or is it possible to avoid them? If you’re careful enough, then there’s nothing to worry about. Here are some great tips on how you can avoid a mail order bride scam:
- Always read reviews of the site that interests and attracts you before you become a full member of that platform.
- Pick a reliable and legit website to find the best mail order brides, as only prestigious dating sites can ensure the best results.
- Try to avoid sharing personal and sensitive information with profiles and think twice before you share your contact details.
- Ask for a video call before you start trusting your profile, and if that person will make excuses, you know that you should avoid them.
- Don’t rush to send money or gifts unless you trust the person you’ll be communicating with.
- Always be inquisitive and try to ask similar questions so that you can know whether the information the person shares is consistent.
Dating scams in numbers
Here are some interesting details regarding online scams, demonstrating the sad reality of fraudulent activities online:
- Romance scams in the UK resulted in losses of more than £50 million in 2018, and in the US it resulted in more than $200 million in 2019.
- About 30% of scam victims are money mules who serve as intermediaries of money transfers.
- More scam cases take place on Valentine’s Day, so be careful on special celebratory days!